8000*8000 Unit Terrain w/ Recast Graph

Hi,

So I’m trying to graph an 8k (8000, not 8192, tl;dr is artist disparity) map which is made up of 4*4 chunks of 2000 unit terrains. I ideally need to graph the entire thing in a single recast graph with an accurate cell size, around 0.5 units. The graph will also be updated at runtime a lot so I also ideally need pretty small tile sizes. I’ve been doing a lot of testing with different graph types and have landed back at recast as the most suitable as I’d like to have slopes baked into the graph to take some work off steering behaviours for alignment to avoid slope raycasting per agent.

From my testing upto this point, attempting to bake 8000*8000 @ 0.5m res w/ 128 (default) tile sizes is not even close to possible in terms of memory in my case. I’d really appreciate any suggestions as to how to reduce data sizes as it’s attempting to pull out several gigs right now which is overflowing memory for the partition I’m on (only have around 4.6GB spare and need to clean (doing so now, will check back for responses and retry) so not sure if this is mostly temp bake data and the output will be significantly smaller, but I can be sure that during baking an attempt at this size and resolution is overflowing 4GB).

Thanks!

EDIT: So, interestingly a rescan (no clearing) worked fine at 256 tile res though graph updates took far too long. As a long shot I tried at 32 res and it successfully baked 250000 tiles without any memory issues this time around, however updates are still taking far too long, literally been waiting on load for about 6 minutes now for it to process a lot of updates (about 20k new colliders to avoid which are present for update collision testing and then dropped back into pools once the graphs have been updated). I’m thinking at this point that I might have to stagger updates hugely, as in process the whole thing one tile at a time in the background, which is far from ideal as I’d have to work in a lot of staggering for multiplayer (basically this happens on the host/server so they can path NPCs in the background). Does this sound like an expected time for that many objects at 32 tile res? Still processing async in the background here. The time taken was very low with a grid graph, about 10 secs to update the entire graph so while I knew that this would be a lot more expensive ofc, I didn’t realise it would be so much more heavy).

So, brief follow-up; successful high-res full bake, 256 million cells and excellent accuracy, unfortunately through playing with all tile sizes and checking scan settings I’m still unable to get a graph rebuild to complete in an acceptable amount of time (tl;dr is each world is partially procedurally generated with trees, rocks, plants, etc. all being varied from game to game, and on game creation/load I need to process a lot of these objects being input, most of them are simple objects which don’t have to be avoided and are fully backgrounded, but it includes several tens of thousands (max load) of trees, cacti, bushes, rock formations, etc. which need to be pathed around). Despite the improved accuracy (unless anyone has any pointers as far as reducing update times go, as I cannot feasibly stagger the main tile scanning out, it needs to be updated fully at load (for a variety of reasons), subsequent updates such as building placement are batched and updated at runtime past load), I’m wondering now if I may be forced to return to something such as a grid graph, which was still very slow at this sort of load but did manage to complete in under 2 minutes. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Which version are you using?

Hm… I wonder what is using all the memory.
The system only rasterizes 8 or so tiles at a time (number of cores on your machine). It does however store all vertices/triangles for all meshes before it starts any updates. That might be using a lot of memory.

One important thing to point out is that when using ‘Rasterize Meshes’ any graph update will have to look through all MeshFilters in the scene because there is no way I can find all of them within just a small region of the scene. However if you use ‘Rasterize Colliders’ then I can find all colliders within a small region much faster.
Rasterizing colliders is often faster as well because they have less detail.

Keep in mind that the navmesh may not have enough height information for this. It may work for AIs far away from the camera, but in many cases I think it wouldn’t be accurate enough when looking closely. One approach that I have used in another game is to use a single raycast every 10 frames or so and use the normal information from the hit to approximate the ground as a plane. Then I use plane approximation for the next 10 frames which is much faster than a raycast.