What sort of pathfinding system is most suitable for a voxel-based (Marching Cubes) game?

I have bought the full version of the tool and I’ve been playing around with the layered grid and the generated navmesh.

For the grid I had trouble with my test character walking too close to cliff sides and falling off, or running into sharp corners of cubic elements. While running up some stairs it also got caught up in a loop of walking up the stairs, reevaluating its path base on the floor besides the stairs, jumping off the stairs, and then attempting to run up them again.I get the feeling I may be doing something wrong.

I haven’t gotten very far with the Dynamic Navmesh yet, the reason I’m writing her is mostly that I hear a Navmesh solution would be slow since it would have to be regenerated every so often when a player digs a hole or starts constructing a building.

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I didn’t find anything when I looked around.

Hi

It sounds like your movement script follows the path a bit too loosely. Try tweaking the parameters (e.g ‘pick next waypoint distance’ or ‘forward look’) so that it follows the path more closely, that should reduce the probability that the AI runs of a cliff or something like that.

A layered grid graph is pretty much the only solution (except writing your own graph type) that would work for a voxel based game.