Seams & gaps artifacts, Recast-graph bake

I am experiencing issue with recast - it seems to disregard the walkable height / climb setting (sometimes), and produces gaps, even around minor details. Increasing walkable height/climb to 2 doesn’t fix the issue.

It’s possible to fix in 3DS max, but then I loose any recast benefits (specific areas re-baking, tiles etc) and will be forced to use NavMesh mode :frowning:

For example, on “3” you can see a small mushroom which is about 0.15x0.15x0.15 dimensions. Removing objects from bake is possible, but sometimes undesirable (wish characters would step on some occasional boulders etc).

I’ve magnified & rotated the mushroom on “4”. It has a gap at the bottom.

On “2” image, you can see a similar gap around a small boulder (about 2ce larger than the mushroom). The Recast-tile takes up the whole “2” image, but it’s not too large - about 15x15 world units (world space). Such meshes are quite small, so I would assume the would either generate 1 voxel or no voxel. That should be enough to step-over for the character, and the Recast-nav-mesh should therefore cover these items (or just intersect through them), like a blanket, not go around them

More importantly, I have gaps along connections of triangles, on “2”. Changing the voxel resolution or tile size tends to help, but such seams can then appear elsewhere. Increasing resolution doesn’t help to cover the mushroom.

Is it possible to specify some helper-volume around such mushrooms or seams, to make system “patch them up”?

Using 4.1.12
Cheers!

Hi

I am not completely sure, but I think those objects might be seen as unwalkable surfaces because their slopes are greater than the max slope, not because of the step height. I would recommend putting them in a separate layer that is not included in the scan (this will also improve the time it takes to scan the graph).

Regarding the larger tear in the navmesh. That tear is is along a navmesh tile and it’s actually fine. I have tried to fix recast so that it generates the exact same vertices along tile borders, but it’s tricky. However connections should be detected there without any issues (as long as the tear is not really large). The only real issue is that it looks pretty bad in the scene view visualization. You can also control how many vertices recast adds along the tile borders using the ‘max border edge length’ setting.