Progressive path forward

Hi!

I’m trying to implement a feature on a game where the player controls a group of AI agents. I’m using the Recast Graph. One of the possible commands is to order the agents to move forward up until a specific distance while reacting to what’s going on around them. This video from Overlord 2 shows what is intended, at around 2 minutes:

My question is: what is the best way to implement these kind of paths, where we don’t have a specific end point? The idea is to have the agents move forward until they reach a given distance from the start or until there is no more path forward.

For example, if there is a wall in front of them and the max distance is beyond that wall (and is a reachable node), they must end their path at the wall, and not try to go around it, since there is no more way moving only forward.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Hi

I would make them repeatedly search for a path to a point a relatively small distance ahead of them (say maybe 10-20% of the max distance) until they have moved up to [max distance] units. That way they can avoid small obstacles, but will not move much further than the max distance.