Presales questions

I hope your surgery went well.

A Reddit buddy highly recommended this but I had a couple of questions.

1. Is there anything built in that would include destructible terrain like doors, barricades, etc? I never really figured this out so where the mobs get close enough to attack the door or even dig to get to the target point?
  2. Are there any formations something along the lines of Total War? Obviously not a robust.
  3. The docs show support unity Unity 2D tile maps. Are there any gotcha’s for this? Does it handle terrain slow downs/movement weights?
  4. Do you have a roadmap? sorry I failed at google search for this.
  5. With the ECS underneath, any performance info? my game will have less than 200 but curious how far it would go.

Project looks great. I appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Hi

1. You can update the graphs during runtime in a number of ways. See Graph Updates - A* Pathfinding Project
  2. There are no formations built-in to the package. Though there are some helpful utility methods: e.g. PathUtilities - A* Pathfinding Project
  3. It supports tilemap colliders as obstacles. However, it does not support getting e.g. penalty information from a tilemap.
  4. There’s no public roadmap, no.
  5. Pathfinding and the movement scripts can handle thousands of agents by themselves, however, you are likely to be blocked by rendering cost at that point. 200 should be totally fine.

Thank you for the response. I have a business trip coming but will try it out soon. A couple of follow ups.

My buddy uses this in SpaceFront by Pixel Herd

I’ve been play testing it.

1. I can get units stuck between terrain and other units. Is there a work around for this sort of thing? Manual clean up the graph?

2. The paths seem to favor one direction over another. Meaning they tend to go up vs down even though down is the closer point. Sometimes they even start going up then change to down. Is this in his code or is there a path setting like find from this direction or another?

Thanks again. Looks amazing.

Darrin

1. I don’t know what causes that in particular. The most likely thing is that he’s using local avoidance, but explicitly locking some agents so that they cannot move. This can reduce local avoidance quality significantly since the agents cannot cooperate on how to resolve a collision, and the result can be them getting stuck.
  2. When using local avoidance, there’s a configurable slight bias for agents passing each other on the right side. This is to help resolve collisions faster. Maybe this is what you mean?