Support Forum

Point Graph "Root" disappearing

Every time I build my project the “Root” of the Point Graph resets to “none”, making it impossible to use A* at the moment. I have my Pathfinder object setup as a prefab, as well as the object I’m using as the root. The object I’m using as the Root is setup as the Root object within the Pathfinder prefab as well. However, this prefab will also clear the Root whenever I build the project. Any ideas? Bug?

Thanks!

Unity Version: 2019.3.9f1
A* Pathfinding Version: 4.2.15

EDIT: Actually, looks like the Pathfinder prefab always clears the Root, doesn’t save it at all. However, even so, I was only attempting that in hopes that it would fix the problem of the Root clearing every time I build. Obviously it didn’t.

Hi

Thanks! I have fixed this in my dev version now. The fix will be included in the next beta version.

You can work around this by either simply not storing it in a prefab, or having a separate script that assigns the root and scans the graph, or by using https://www.arongranberg.com/astar/docs/save-load-graphs.php

Thanks a bunch! Any clue when that next beta version will be available?

I only tried storing it in a prefab because it was erasing it. It doesn’t work either way. I’d love to assign it at launch, but I’m not a coder, and am using PlayMaker.

I can’t load the graph during run time for the same reason.

While PlayMaker has various ways of interacting with scripts like Pathfinder, none of the calls I need seem to work. Not sure if you’ve ever tried interacting with A* through PlayMaker, but there seems to be a lot of basic functionality that just isn’t possible without additional scripting.

I found someone who created some custom PlayMaker actions specifically for A*, and among them was a call to Scan, so I’ve got that, but there isn’t one for changing the Root. I’d love it if that were possible during runtime through PlayMaker. Maybe you could take a look at it and give me some suggestions? I’m asking the PlayMaker guys about it as well. Maybe it’s a problem on their end.

For now, just getting the Root to stay will be enough. Thanks again, I really appreciate the swift response, and am overall loving the A* Pathfinding. It’s working flawlessly, minus this one bug so far, and even then the real problem is my ability to interact with it through PlayMaker.

Hi

If the Root object is in the scene and the A* object is in the scene (and not a prefab) then it should work fine and it shouldn’t be erased.

The only reason I tried making the A* object a prefab was because I thought it might fix the problem of the Root disappearing. It still disappears, even when it is not a prefab. This only happens when I build the project though. It runs fine within the Unity Editor.

I just tried again, and this time it worked within the build (first time that’s happened), but it still cleared the Root within the project after building. Not a big deal, just need to remember to replace it after building. Very odd. I’ll try a few more times to see if my problem was the fluke, or the success is the fluke, and update.

UPDATE: Yeah, it seems like my problem was the fluke. It’s keeping it in the build now. Wasn’t last night, I promise! :sweat_smile:

It would still be awesome if it wasn’t wiping out the Root in the project every time, though. Thanks!