Penalties and Terrain Layers

How can I apply movement penalties to different layers on my terrain? I’m Feeling very stuck so any examples would be greatly appreciated.

More Context:
My 2 terrain layers are grass and mud. The seeker should prefer to walk on the grass but still have the option to walk on mud. At runtime the user will be able to update the layers.

I am using a ‘Grid Map’ which seems like the best option to use here.
Adding my Terrain’s SplatAlpha map to the ‘Penalty Modification - Use Texture’ did not seem to help.

Again, any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

Adding the splat map to the ‘use texture’ options is the right way to go. The UI in the current version is kinda clunky and non-intuitive, though. You might be interested in using the beta version which has a nicer UI for working with textures: A* Pathfinding Project

I did the same but did not get a good answer
Texture penalty tries to determine the penalty based on the colors of the texture(RGB) how can we say that each number of splat map gets a penalty?

Hello
i am waiting for answer (please) …

Hi

I’m not quite sure what your question is. A splat map encodes its data as just different colors, so it should work out of the box.
It is currently limited to only one texture, though.

Based on the terrain splat data, we have a matrix of different terrain textures, we know where the boundaries of each texture are.
So how can these boundaries be penalty for path?
consider a penalty based on any texture or texture code(splat data)

Is there a way to give a penalty to millions points (coordinates) of the terrain in the grid graph, instead of giving a penalty to a range?

I’m not quite sure what you are asking for, but you might be interested in this page: Graph Updates during Runtime - A* Pathfinding Project