Pathfinding across a large 2D tiled world

Given a very large 2D tiled world split into sectors (each with its own grid graph) that may be streamed as needed, is there a known best practice (algorithm-wise) when I’d like to pathfind from one sector to another far away (that may not be streamed, but at least some kind of metadata may be always available)?

Part of the metadata I could have the connections from one sector to the neighboring ones, but that wouldn’t necessarily yield the best path I guess.

I’m not using any of the AI scripts, just programmatically asking to calculate paths.

You may want to check out ProceduralGraphMover - A* Pathfinding Project

It looks great, but unfortunately it’s a game with many creatures pathing all over the world so I can’t quite focus the graph on one.

See Large worlds - A* Pathfinding Project for alternatives

Thank you, will check on that. By the way, I believe the docs recommend against going over 1000x1000 grid graphs due to memory - a little unrelated, but it made me think that a Tilemap or whatever other 1000x1000 grid data structure could also present similar memory issues, or is the memory concern mostly because there is a lot of metadata inside each grid node?

Each node stores about 100 bytes of data (including all C# metadata and size of pointers and stuff).
Since with a 1000x1000 graph means 1000000 nodes, each byte per node results in 1 MB of RAM, you can see how it can grow very quickly.
A 1000x1000 tilemap will have the same issue, though it probably uses less memory per tile than a grid graph.