Path Failed : Computation Time 0.00

Hi! I’ve been having a recurrent issue with pathfinding ever since I switched to the Behavior Designer (I hard-coded everything before). Nothing else about the Seeker, graph, or modifier setup has changed – just the fact that I’m controlling the AI using Behavior Designer.

Here is the photo of the situation:

The unit on the left is giving me this warning repeatedly:

Path Failed : Computation Time 0.00 ms Searched Nodes 0
Error: Couldn't find a node close to the end point
Path Number 113 (unique id)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
AstarPath:LogPathResults (Pathfinding.Path) (at Library/PackageCache/com.arongranberg.astar@4.3.41/Core/AstarPath.cs:837)
AstarPath:<InitializePathProcessor>b__122_1 (Pathfinding.Path) (at Library/PackageCache/com.arongranberg.astar@4.3.41/Core/AstarPath.cs:1299)
Pathfinding.PathProcessor:CalculatePathsThreaded (Pathfinding.PathHandler) (at Library/PackageCache/com.arongranberg.astar@4.3.41/Core/Misc/PathProcessor.cs:512)
Pathfinding.PathProcessor/<>c__DisplayClass26_0:<.ctor>b__0 () (at Library/PackageCache/com.arongranberg.astar@4.3.41/Core/Misc/PathProcessor.cs:147)
System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart ()

You can see its destination in the middle of the screenshot – on a valid graph. It is trying to approach the character on the right, who is moving away normally on that same graph, with a valid path. But the character on the left cannot get a valid path, spamming the error.

If I wait for a while and let it retry, it’ll recover and find a path (when the destination updates). If I grab it in the Scene view and move it somewhere, it won’t have any effect.

This bug happens a lot, and in a variety of situations and level layouts, and I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. I verify that the destination is on the graph, and use this very simple code to set destination (actually, the Behavior Designer used it in their example node and I just copied it into mine):

readonly NNConstraint constraint = new NNConstraint
        {
            constrainDistance = true,
            constrainWalkability = true,
            walkable = true
        };

NNInfo info = AstarPath.active.GetNearest(centralPoint.position, constraint);
            closestValidPoint = (Vector3)info.node.position;

agent.canSearch = true;
            agent.destination = target;

…where “centralPoint” is an AI Grid point that was returned by my Environment Query (both custom systems I wrote). As you can see, the point is, in fact valid, as it shows up in the debug on the screenshot above (or does it mean that, actually?)

I am approaching my wit’s end with this bug. Please help!

Hi

Try to increase the A* Inspector -> Settings -> Max Nearest Node Distance and see what you get. The search will give up if the closest valid node is further away than that value.

Hey! I changed it from 100 to 200, and I’m still getting the same problem. Not sure what I’m looking for.
Here is my graph:

And the Settings:

I’ve tried with 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 5000, and 9999, and haven’t noticed any difference.

I got suspicious about my additional graphs, so I deleted them for testing, leaving only SmallGraph, and that got rid of the bug. I don’t know what that means, but I do actually need the other graphs. Hopefully, that helps narrow down the issue?

Upd: Okay. It looks like my character that was getting stuck had Traversable Graphs set to Everything in its Seeker component, unlike the character that wasn’t getting stuck. Now I set both of them to SmallGraph, and nobody gets stuck, and I never see this error again. I still don’t quite understand why, but clearly this was the issue.

1 Like