How to Create More Splits in Recast Graph

I am getting some really large stretches on flat terrain where there are no breaks in my recast graph (by that I mean poly edges), this often makes the AI wander a long way out of the way to get to their first start point, which seems to always be on a split (or vertex I guess). Is there a way to minimize this? Max edge length and Max Edge error seem to do nothing. Thanks,

Stephen

Hi

Try to use a tiled recast graph. The smaller the tiles are, the more splits it will create.

Also, you will likely want to use the Funnel Modifier, see http://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/modifiers.php

We are using the funnel modifier, and that does help. Is there a cost to lots of tiles? I think my current tile size is like 64, if I took that all the way down to 8, or 16, do I take a hit somewhere?

Well, since a lower tile size will increase the number of nodes, you will get an increase in both memory usage and path search time (more nodes to search), this is not a large factor though. Also you might get more suboptimal paths for low tile sizes.

Are you using your own movement script or a custom made one?