Has anyone tested A* with unity5?

I’m considering updating to unity5 for my current project but I really rely on A*
Any compatibility issues?

Thanks Travis

I am not on the U5 beta personally, but this person seems to be: http://arongranberg.com/vanillaforums/discussion/3068/is-there-a-local-avoidance-solution-that-is-safe-now-with-your-latest-release

Hey,

I’m the guy Aron linked to. I actually havn’t started using this A* yet with my game. I was preparing to, but decided to make sure Unity’s built-in nav system was going to work (or not work) for my game.

If I end up using Aron’s A* package somewhat soon, I’ll try to remember to make a post on these forums with my experiences with it. I’m actually pretty curious myself.

I tested it last night and it seems to work fine in Unity5 beta 11. My setup is not very complicated though. I use a single tiled recast graph, and my seeker has a funnel filter on it.

I was using the latest A* pro beta version, not official release.

Okay, like munkman, I tested it in my game as well, using Unity beta 9 today. Overall, it’s working great. I’m using a Grid Graph with simple smooth and alternate path modifiers on my units.

In one of my test builds, I had “Limit Graph Updates” checked, and during the build runtime, the pathfinding just stopped working. I couldn’t see an error because it was during an actual build, and not in the editor. I unchecked “Limit Graph Updates” and everything worked perfect again.

Other than a couple of warnings upon initial installation, everything seems to be working well. Nothing game-breaking other than the one case I mentioned above, but options allowed me to avoid it, and I don’t need to limit graph updates anyways.

I am not using the local avoidance at all yet.

Thanks, I didn’t think there would be much of an issue but its always nice to know for sure.

I’m using A* beta with Unity 5beta and I’m not experiencing any problems.

Same here on U5, everything we are using is working as expected

Hello, i’m using recast graph and it seems like broken for me. I reproduce it in new project and use official example “Example3_Recast_Navmesh1” which use Recast Graph as i do. In editor all ok, but it do not work in build, AI just freeze and not moving, both RVO and Character Controller.

I’m now use grid graph and it work as always, but recast graph do not.

I’m using last version from assets store 3.6, Unity 5.0.
Someone has the same issue?

I had the same issue(building for iOS)…solved it by caching the data… under “Save & Load”.

Hi

What build target are you using?

If you about me its PC - Windows both x86 and x86_64. Not yet tried to cache data.
UPD tried cache data as sfjohansson says. It works with cache.

Ok. Have you checked the log? It might say something interesting.

without cache - http://i.imgur.com/59AOsk6.png (ok i see log message now =)) and http://i.imgur.com/QEgT3BJ.png
with cache - http://i.imgur.com/d12a4K8.png
unfortunately I do not know how to get unity’s logs from build, so there is no stack trace

Well, there’s your problem.
Since it is statically batched, my scripts cannot read the meshes during runtime and therefore they cannot be used in the graph calculation. So the “solution” is to use caching. You could also switch to rasterising colliders, which works regardless of if the objects are static or not.

Thank you, i think i just has been confused because of switch from unity free to unity personal with pro features like static batching and miss it.

I found few problems with examples:

Example4_Recast_Navmesh2

NullReferenceException: Tag: tag name is null.
Pathfinding.PointGraph.ScanInternal (.OnScanStatus statusCallback) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Generators/PointGenerator.cs:528)
AstarPath.ScanLoop (.OnScanStatus statusCallback) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:2022)
AstarPath.Scan () (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:1939)
AstarPath.Awake () (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:1503)

Example6_Navmesh and Example6_Navmesh_RichAI

Script in shadow seems to be missing:

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

error message:

NavGraph hasn’t been generated yet or does not contain any nodes
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Pathfinding.NavMeshGraph:GetNearest(NavMeshGraph, GraphNode[], Vector3, NNConstraint, Boolean) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Generators/NavMeshGenerator.cs:178)
Pathfinding.NavMeshGraph:GetNearest(Vector3, NNConstraint, GraphNode) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Generators/NavMeshGenerator.cs:228)
Pathfinding.NavGraph:GetNearest(Vector3, NNConstraint) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Generators/Base.cs:164)
AstarPath:GetNearest(Vector3, NNConstraint, GraphNode) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:2894)
Pathfinding.ABPath:Prepare() (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Pathfinders/ABPath.cs:189)
c__Iterator9:MoveNext() (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:2748)
AstarPath:Update() (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AstarPath.cs:862)

Also these examples throws some errors / warnings (i’ll post error messages if needed) :

Example8_PathTypes
Multi target path
Flood path

Example11_RVO
RVO

I’m pretty sure they worked with unity 4.6, but cant be sure (i can test it if needed). Unity version: 5.0.0f4, new project, nothing but aStar from asset store, build target standalone (platform osx)

@Chelnok

I just uploaded a new beta (3.6.2) which should fix most of the issues.
I could however not replicate the errors in Example6_Navmesh (assuming you followed the instructions on the game screen for configuring it).

I could also not replicate any errors in Example8_PathTypes.

@aron_granberg Any change to get beta (pro) if bought from asset store?