Grid vs Recast Graph

Hey guys,

My Girlfriend asked me to look into making a city builder as its her favourite genre, so I thought I give it a try…
One of the reference games for me is Manor Lords (free placement not grid based). So I started using AStar Pro with Recast Graph which worked fine, however since I am soon looking into building roads, I learned that Recast is not great for setting up Penalties, so I tried using the Grid Graph, my world is currently quite large 1000x1000 and I might need to increase the size when looking at Manor Lords. However the Grid graph runs with 200 FPS when using a size of 100x100, scaling it to 1000x1000 the performance drops to 20 FPS without any Agents walking around.

So my question, considering you have a game world of lets say 3000x3000 in size, up to ~500 Agents walking around, the need to have them use roads where possible (so preferably using a penalty system), what would be the best choice ? Anyone having experience using penalties on Recast, or should i use 30x30 Grid graphs with a scale of 100x100 ? Or rather not use AStar and use the build In Unity Navmesh ?

Would appreciate any advice.

Hi

For such a large world, it’s not easy to get things working right.
Unity’s navmesh system could have better support for this particular use case.

Penalties on recast graphs work, but they are not quite as accurate as they could be.