Grid Graph and Application.LoadLevelAdditiveAsync

I’m trying to make my world as seamless as possible. I’m using this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38168 which uses application.loadleveladditiveasync. I have a minimum of three and a maximum of eight 500x500 scenes loaded at one time. I made the grid graph 1500x1500 and I was going to shift the graph 500 units on x or z and rescan a new area when the player reaches a certain point. For example, the graph starts at 0,0,0. When the player walks to 1000,0,0, the scene that contained the 0,0,0 grid graph will be unloaded. At that exact point, I plan to shift the grid graph to 500,0,0 and rescan. I can’t imagine pulling this off ‘seamlessly’ though. I’m sure they’ll be some serious hiccuping as it rescans another 1500x1500 region.

So I’m looking for some advice about how to use a grid graph in a seamless, open world game. Is it even possible? Navmesh is not an option as I’ll be chopping down trees, placing buildings etc. so I need to update the graph.

Hi

Have you checked out the Procedural example scene?
That features a graph which moves with the player in small increments. This will reduce the delays when the graph is moved. You probably don’t want to do it with too large graphs though since then the delays will become noticeable.

I did look at that example, but then I read on the forum that it doesn’t support layered grid graphs? I think I have to make a choice: relatively large maps (1500x1500), layered grid graphs, and load scenes, or smaller maps (say 400X400), grid graph, and no load scenes. Is that about right?