A* Pathfinding Project

GraphUpdateUtilities.UpdateGraphsNoBlock Question

Hello,
I’m currently trying to use the UpdateGraphsNoBlock function but am encountering difficulty.
For some reason the method is returning true for the area blocked off in the attached image
reachableNode

I want my game to think that touching corners is a blocked path, but it currently does not. My code is as follows:

//pathfinder.FloodFill();
            Debug.Log(currentPlaceableObject.name);
            Debug.Log(newestTower.name);

GraphUpdateObject tower = new GraphUpdateObject(currentPlaceableObject.GetComponent<Collider>().bounds);
            Boolean allPathsAreClear = GraphUpdateUtilities.UpdateGraphsNoBlock(tower, allPathNodes, false);
            //Boolean isPathPossible = PathUtilities.IsPathPossible(allPathNodes);

Debug.Log("Paths are clear: " + allPathsAreClear);
            //Debug.Log("Is path Possible: " + isPathPossible);
            if (allPathsAreClear)
            {  //Then do stuff 
               }

Can anyone tell me how to set up A*pathfinding to calculate blocked paths in this way?
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks

Hi

How is your allPathNodes list defined?

Hi Aron,
The allPathNodes list is defined and populated using the following code

// Root of the Mono behavior script
    private List<GameObject> checkpoints = new List<GameObject>();
    private int buildCount = 0;
    private List<GraphNode> allPathNodes = new List<GraphNode>();
// both lists are populated in Start method

void Start()
    {
        pathfinder = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Pathfinder").GetComponent<AstarPath>();
        GC = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Controller").GetComponent<GameController>();
        nodeSize = pathfinder.data.gridGraph.nodeSize;
        offset = new Vector3(nodeSize * 0.5f, 0, nodeSize * 0.5f);
        AddCheckpoints();
        GetPathNodes();
    }

// The relevant functions are as follows
    private void AddCheckpoints()
    {
        checkpoints.Add(GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Start"));
        checkpoints.Add(GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("End"));
        foreach (GameObject checkpoint in GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Checkpoint"))
        {
            checkpoints.Add(checkpoint);
        }

}

private void GetPathNodes()
    {
        foreach(Transform tf in allCheckpoints)
        {
            GraphNode thisNode = AstarData.active.GetNearest(tf.position).node;
            //GraphNode thisNode = pathfinder.GetNearest(tf.GetChild(0).position).node;
            allPathNodes.Add(thisNode);
        }
    }

Hi

Can you verify that if you set the Graph Coloring mode to ‘Areas’ then the inside of that region should have a different color than the outside (right now when using the ‘Solid Color’ mode they are both blue).
Also can you verify that one of your checkpoints is inside that region?

I have switched to regions, and can confirm a checkpoint is inside the perimeter of the wall of gems

This first screenshot the region inside the circle of gems is counted as unreachable and I cannot place a gem in the top right corner, however in this second screenshot that is not the case.

ReachableChecpoint
In this the region looks like a very slightly different color but It still calculated as reachable when I place a new gem and detect if its blocking the path. (Intended functionality is to destroy the gem, essentially preventing the placement.

Any ideas as to how to get around this problem?

That is strange. I cannot see why it wouldn’t work in the second case as well. Do you think it would be possible for you to share a small test scene that I could use to replicate this issue?

I’ll work on trying to put a sample scene together over the weekend. though I haven’t done that before.