Enemy spawner, grids, etc

Hi,
We are starting to work with this tool and I have a few questions:

1. I have a large top-down open world. There are locations on the map, such as a factory, a military base, etc. I would like the most enemies (zombies) to appear in these places, and much fewer in open areas - 30:10 - is a local grid solution a good solution?
  2. In runtime, is it enough to add an opponent on the map and he will be able to handle it? NavMeshAgent`s from Unity need to be targeted at navmesh to add correctly, do I have to do the same here?

That’s it for now.
Regards

Hi

1. I’d use some kind of weighted sampling for this. Have a few keys points and spawn a person near those key points with a large probability, and spawn anywhere in the world with a low probability.
  2. Should be enough to just add them to the map. If you want to get the closest point on the navmesh you can use AstarPath.active.GetNearest.
    Vector3 PickRandomPoint()
    {
        Vector2 randomDirection = Random.insideUnitCircle * maxWanderingArea;
        Vector3 point = initialPosition + new Vector3(randomDirection.x, 0, randomDirection.y);
        if (IsPointInWalkableArea(point))
        {
            return point;
        }
        else
        {
            Debug.LogWarning("Generated point is not in a walkable area. Retrying...");
            return PickRandomPoint();
        }
    }

When its start i save initialPosition of zombie
PickRandomPoint() - find random point in area from this point to maxWanderingArea
Then check if this point in on walkable area

bool IsPointInWalkableArea(Vector3 point)
    {
        GraphNode node = AstarPath.active.GetNearest(point).node;
        return node != null && node.Walkable;
    }

if not - find another, if is - move to this point. Now i need make spawner with probability system :slight_smile: