A* with Network concerns

Hi, I’m trying to integrate Network into a project with A* path finding. The context is I’ll be using Mirror/Mirage Networking.
I really want to ask some question to make sure if it’s possible.

1. Is it a good choice to use A* with Networking?

2. Do you think there will be any problem using NavmeshCut (dynamic not static) with Network? At the moment, for best avoidance, when characters start attacking, I turn on NavmeshCut for that character so other characters can avoid it better. (Local avoidance doesn’t help at all)

3. Do you think there would be a problem if the game is MMORPG using A*?

Please let me know if possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi

1. This package has no specific code for networking, thus it is best suited for a client-server architecture where pathfinding happens on the server.

2. Assuming you sync the navmesh cut position to the server, it should work.

3. Impossible to say because that genre is very wide. But in general, anything to do with MMORPGs tends to be very hard due to their scale. I would probably use a server side recast graph that covered the entire world.

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for your answer! I’m not much of an expert when it comes to Networking stuffs, so please bear with me :face_holding_back_tears:

1. So I assume the pathfinding happening on the server meaning A* logic will be on the server?

2. I’m using recast graph that covers the entire world yeah. I was wondering if the server using A* pathfinding for MMORPG would be inefficient or cause any problem if there’s like 300 objects pathfinding.

Personally, I would love to hear your thoughts on best practices or opinions/what-to-do if I were to add it to networking (I couldn’t find anything related to networking on the document I believe).
For example using recast graph as you said. But it’s fine if you can’t, either way thanks for the amazing package!!

1. Yes

2. 300 objects pathfinding can be a bit heavy. I’d recommend using the beta with the FollowerEntity component.

I don’t have any specific advice to give on networking, I’m afraid. I don’t tend to make networked games myself.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and advices! No worries :+1:
I just wasn’t sure if I should use beta version for game in production stage, but I’ll take that in mind.
Thanks again and have a nice day!