A*PP and ECS + Job System

Will A* Pathfinding Project support the upcoming Entity Component System and Job System? It also seems like rewriting the underlying mutlithreaded logic for the Job system could dramatically improve pathfinding performance.

Hi

This package has no explicit support for the Entity Component System package, however it does look interesting. The Unity job system definitely looks interesting and I will see what I can do with it in the future. However since the package is already multithreaded, the primary speed boost would come from the job system compiler which is due to be released later in 2018 last time I checked.

1 Like

I think the main benefit we could get from the ECS and the job system with A* would be with the AIPath scripts and so on. Getting those fully multithreaded with better performance would be great. I had to make heavy modifications to them to have better performance for a decent number of agents.

True. I’m just worried about the additional complexity it adds. Many users want to modify those scripts and that will be much harder if they are written in ECS style.

@ScottMichaud
Off topic, but you should check out https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics-autoSyncTransforms.html

Oh snap. We’re not up to 2017.2, but this good to know. Thanks!