UpdateGraphs works, but new Path does not take it into account

Hi I have a possibly simple issue that I’ve googled and searched but cannot figure out.

if (border_obstacles[i] != null) {
                    var guo = new GraphUpdateObject(border_obstacles[i].GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>().bounds);
                    guo.updatePhysics = true;
                    guo.bounds.extents += new Vector3(5000, 5000, 0);
                    Destroy(border_obstacles[i]);
                    AstarPath.active.UpdateGraphs(guo);
                }

The behavior I expect is that the obstacle is removed, and new Paths can go through it. I can see in the scene that the obstacle is removed, I can see that the graph gizmos show blue where it was (not gray) - so it looks like a valid location now. But when a new path gets calculated 2 seconds later, it avoids the obstacle as if it was there.

I am extending the bounds because my movement uses Tags, and I wanna make sure Erosion is recalculated in a bigger area. its probably unnecessary but I wanted to make sure.

Hi

Since you are using tags, are you sure the tags have been properly cleared? You can visualize the tags by changing the debug mode/graph coloring mode in A* Inspector -> Settings.

You may want to clear the tag using that GUO.

guo.modifyTag = true;
guo.setTag = 0;

The Tags are not being cleared, you are right. However I don’t understand why this code is not clearing them:

if (border_obstacles[i] != null) {
                        var guo = new GraphUpdateObject(border_obstacles[i].GetComponent<BoxCollider2D>().bounds);

guo.bounds.extents += new Vector3(5000, 5000, 0);

guo.updatePhysics = true;                        
                        guo.modifyTag = true;

guo.setTag = 0;

Destroy(border_obstacles[i]);
                        AstarPath.active.UpdateGraphs(guo);
                    }

Realistically I would like the tags influenced just by the guo to clear but im extending it for testing purposes. Everything stays the same.

Ah. You are using a 2D collider.
If you call 2DCollider.bounds you will get back a bounds object that has a zero size along the Z axis. However the graph will check for each node if they were contained in the bounding box, but since the bounding box has no size along the Z axis it is impossible for them to be contained by it. Try to add some size along the Z axis and it should work.

I agree that this can be a bit confusing when making 2D games, but it is very important to check all axes in 3D games (especially when the graphs contain multiple floors).

Thank you! That did the trick.

1 Like