Platforming/jumping AI for 2D

Hello,

Is A* a good solution for a platforming/jumping AI? For example, a game like Mario where I’d like the AI to follow the player throughout the level, jumping from platform to platform.

Hi

It is possible to do, but I can’t say the project has very good support for it right now.
I am aiming to improve the support for it in the future, in fact I have been working on some 2D platformer example scenes which have jumping and climbing, they are not ready for release yet though.

Hi Aron,

Have you implemented such a thing yet? I guess that with some manual work and the node based graph it might work, but I’d obviously love a more automatic implementation :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi

Sorry, not yet.
It kinda fell off my priority list (there are so many things to do!) unfortunately.

i know this is very old, but are the features implemented yet?

currently i’m using the free version, but i’m considering on buying the pro.
using the free version, i cant seem to make it for a 2D platformer.

Hi

Sorry, no, they have not been implemented yet. As previously you can do most things with a point graph, it might sometimes be a bit tedious to set up, but it will work for most cases.

can the pathfinding have some limitation or constraint, like for example, if the height difference between point is too far, you cant go up, but you can go down.
at first i thought about using a one way connection (going down is ok, but no going up). but i wanted to create a moving platform that goes up & down, so that might be a problem (as the pathfinding wouldn’t use that path to go up even if the platform was short enough).

Hi

The point graph can do that, sort of, but I think it is best in this case if you create the connections manually or use a script to create them exactly how you want them.