Off mesh links for grid graphs.Not going to correct height

Hey there. I am very new to the project and am looking for some guidance.
I am working on a tactics style game and after a week of working on my own pathfinding solution I decided it would be better to work with a premade solution. I am testing some basic movement and would like to know if I am doing something wrong here. I followed the tutorial for version 4.1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QT5Czfe0YE) and got my capsule wandering around. It works quite well on ramps as far as I can tell. I used all of the same scripts that Aron G used in his video.

Next I set up a link to my next area and then did a rescan. I used 2 cylinders (green) and linked them using the node link script in the project (I also tried node link 2 and node link 3). I set my target to the top of the ledge (red cylinder) and hit play expecting it to work. The color of the ledge even changed to the same color as the blue so I figured everything was correct.
What I’m seeing though is that my character will travel to the first node and then walk through the wall until it is under the target cylinder instead of moving up to the ledge.

There are three pictures attached below. What am I missing? Eventually I will want to use one of my character meshes and have the character jump to the ledge. Is it easier to build that out now? Can someone shove me in the right direction?

I never did get a reply to this and was hoping someone would be able to help.
Is there a tutorial anywhere that I can follow? I see something similar was done in the recast example 2 tutorial but I can’t seem to figure out how to make that work with the grid graph links

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Currently off mesh links are only well supported for recast/navmesh graphs unfortunately. The AIPath and AILerp movement scripts will just follow the off mesh links as if they were part of the regular path. I am working on improving this though. Is it possible for you to use a recast graph instead?

The reason I was using a grid graph was because it is fairly easy for me to build your typical tactics rpg move range using constant path. I can walk through each node and build my grid that way. Is that possible with recast?
Eventually I want to be able to set ground types, have water slow movement, have players be able to jump up or down small ledges or across gaps. Originally this seemed to be easier with grid graphs.
All I was looking for was a push in the right direction. If this is something that is easily done with recast Id totally switch!

Ah, unfortunately those things are harder on recast graphs.
So one thing you could try is that you modify the movement script so that it checks the y difference to the steering target, and if that is really large then you make the AI move.

I think that is what I’m settling on. I have a custom script that moves the player from node to node on the path. Because of the style of the game I know nothing else will be moving when a character is travelling over the path so I won’t really need to worry about collisions with other moving objects. I’ll check the distance/offset between nodes and then animate accordingly!

1 Like