Consumer/Produce Power Network with A*

Hello,

I have implemented A* pathfinding project with my GOAP engine and it’s so far been worth every penny. Definitely the best asset I have ever purchased on the store and will help me scale my simulation game.

I have been wondering if it is possible to use the a* algorithm with a producer/consumer network. In this case a network would be made of produces and consumers in a non-directed graph. Consumers would produce a value the the producer… produces. I can imagine using a* to iterate through the producer nodes and find connected consumers with a multi-target path. The aspect I cannot see a clear resolution to is updating the specific producers/consumers when an edit is made the network e.g. two nodes in the graph that were once connected become disconnected. Is there a simple way in the project to achieve this? Also if anyone has any suggestions for doing this system from end to end that would be great.

Thank you,

Alex

Hi

This is possible I suppose. You can create nodes easily using the PointGraph.AddNode method (https://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/pointgraph.html#AddNode), but at this point maybe it’s easier to use a custom A* (or even Dijkstra) algorithm? Assuming the power network is not so large that you need a high performance algorithm.

Hi Aron,

Thanks for the response - I think you are right. A custom A* might be more applicable.

Thanks,

Alex

1 Like