150 - 200 agent movement behaviour

Hi there, I’m thinking of creating a starcraft style RTS mechanics, and I want to know how the AI system handles the behaviour of around 150 - 200 agents going to the same position.

For example, what happens to the agents in front, How the agents handle being in the middle (blocked by the 20 - 50 agents already at the destination), and how the agents at the back would behave.

Side note while browsing:

Can this be achieved with the pro version out of the box? or will this need a custom solution?

Hi

The current beta has a (work in progress) RTS example scene. The behavior is actually inspired by what SC2 does.
You can take a look at this video for an example of how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBUdMXeeej0&feature=youtu.be

You are a god. Going to be purchasing it soon and visit great more often

So I’m looking at the RTS Example scene, and I’m wondering if there’s a reason why you used a Recast Graph for this RTS scenario as opposed to something else.

No particular reason. I wanted to see how it worked in that scenario.
A grid graph would work well too. However, note that path calculations on grid graphs are slower since there are so many more nodes, this might be problematic if you have hundreds of units and order them to move at the same time.