Will navmesh cutting work on mobile?

Hi,

Have you had a chance to test navmesh cutting on mobile yet? I have a concept in mind which will require around 5-10 AI skinned-characters in a relatively low-poly scene. I want to see if this will work somewhat on mobile, before I take the plunge. thx

Hi

Navmesh cutting will definitely work on mobile. How heavy it is on the CPU depends on the complexity of the graph. Make sure you use a tiled recast graph when using it since it only updates the necessary tiles.
I would say that it is pretty likely it will have an acceptable performance.

1 Like

Thanks Aron but my game’s concept has changed slightly.

Mobile only game again. I want to have an infinite game and for that procedural generation would be the way to go. Can I combine procedural along with navmesh cutting for a game that will be low-poly with lighting baked and 5 skinned meshes/character without seeing major performance hits?

If need be, I can cut characters down to 4 and other art compromises as long as I can have navmesh cutting in a procedural infinite world.

thx

Hi

That will be hard I am afraid.
The navmesh cutting itself would probably not be the problem, but you would have to constantly regenerate the underlaying recast graph. It would be possible with some code if the world was (except for the navmesh cuts) completely empty.

Is using a procedural grid graph not an option (see the procedural example scene)? (this would likely be slower than the navmesh cut option I mentioned above, but it would work out of the box).