Large world support

Hi!

I am working on a action strategy game that has a requirement for large terrains. Although these will be made of many smaller tiles unity terrains, the overal size could be up to 64x64km depending on the number of players - I have already bought a*pp but would like to understand more about how you deal with such large maps (assuming you do), given unity’s floating point limitations

Any info you can provide is much appreciated

Cheers

Paul

Hi

64x64km support is not something I have planned. It may work to create such a large graph, but Unity will probably not handle it well anyway due to floating point errors at those large coordinates.

Node coordinates are already stored in integer space (millimeter resolution), but movement scripts and a lot of other things use floating point coordinates.

Thanks for getting back to me… by way of an update, we have done some testing and creating a 1km terrain 64km from origin, there do not seem to be any issues at all in building graphs or performing navigation. The camera doesn’t render so well but I am not worried about that as the camera position will be translated using floating world origin. Not scaled up to 64x64 yet but the performance on 16x16 with 1,000 seekers and targets running around was just about acceptable and that is before any real optimisations
Now looking at using the Decision Tree integration with your asset and seems to be going well so far - happy for the project to be a reference case for your asset if you are interested…

1 Like