A* Pathfinding Project

Get a vector3 from StartMultiTargetPath

Small question about StartMultiTargetPath:

Right now i am using
seeker.StartMultiTargetPath(transform.position, postionArray, false, OnPathComplete);
Downside is that my unit immediately starts moving.

In my ideal situation “StartMultiTargetPath” would return the shortest path in a Vector3, that I could use with AiPath, someting like “ai.destination = path”

Is it possible to get to calculate the shortest path (without moving the AI), and return a vector3?

Thanks

Hi

With the Seeker that is unfortunately not possible as currently the AIPath script listens for all path complete events on the Seeker. However you could do something like this:

MultiTargetPath p = MultiTargetPath.Construct(start, endPoints, null, null);
p.pathsForAll = false;
AstarPath.active.StartPath(p);

// ... wait for the path to be calculated, e.g. using p.BlockUntilCalculated() or p.WaitForPath()

// The calculated path is now in p.vectorPath (if it was successful, that is)
// Post process the path using the Seeker's modifiers (optional)
seeker.PostProcess(p);

// Prevent the agent from recalculating its path again, otherwise this path will soon be overridden by an automatic path recalculation to the destination
ai.canSearch = false;

// Make the agent follow the path
ai.SetPath(p);

See also the bottom of this page: https://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/callingpathfinding.html

Thanks for the fast reply, on my way home I realised it makes no sense to calculate a path, and calculate it again using a Vector3.

I’m trying your code but got a error on AstarPath.active.StartPath(p);
I searched for solution on the forum and on the bottom of the page you referred, but sadly didnt find a solution.

Static member 'AstarPath....' cannot be accessed with an instance reference, qualify it with a type name instead

It does work withoud the “active” but then de code doens’t work :wink:

The reason I am asking this, is because for some reason the code works perfectly with “ai.destination”, but not with the seeker (multible targets).

I’m using “ai.reachedDestination” to fire a callback, so the ai can start it’s next task. With the seeker this callback keeps getting fired after the first time reaching destination.

The ai.reachedDestination i still true when starting the next path. So the callback is called immediately, while the ai is stil traveling.

Previously this worked with ai.destination.

Hi

Do you happen to have a custom variable called AstarPath or something?

reachedDestination uses the destination property. When you pass a custom path to the AI it will follow that but the destination is still whatever you set it to. I would recommend that you set the destination property to the endpoint of your multi target path to make things work as expected.

ai.SetPath(path);
ai.destination = path.originalEndPoint;

No custom variable.
I only load private Seeker seeker; & private AIPath ai;

I added a screenshot.

I tried using your code withoud the AstarPath.active.StartPath(p); But then the “path.originalEndPoint;” is the 0.0, 0,0, 0.0

ah, right. Sorry. It should be just AstarPath.StartPath.

Also note that you need to wait for the path to be calculated (like I mentioned in a comment in the code).

E.g.

AstarPath.StartPath(p);
p.BlockUntilCalculated();

Hi

Where does that come from?

When I track the error it opens “ListPool.cs”

I mean the full stack trace.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean :sweat_smile: Still a novice…

Most likely to do with someting I did, so I will try to figure it out.

I got a second error after that with “You are releasing a path which is not claimed at all (most likely it has been pooled already).” So I think somting is going wrong with assigning the paths.

In the console you can see the full stack trace of which code called those methods. They usually help you debug it.

Ah you mean the whole error in the console

InvalidOperationException: You are trying to pool a list twice. Please make sure that you only pool it once.
Pathfinding.Util.ListPool`1[T].Release (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] list) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/Misc/ListPool.cs:173)
Pathfinding.MultiTargetPath.OnEnterPool () (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Pathfinders/MultiTargetPath.cs:147)
Pathfinding.Path.Pathfinding.IPathInternals.OnEnterPool () (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/Path.cs:825)
Pathfinding.PathPool.Pool (Pathfinding.Path path) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/Misc/PathPool.cs:29)
Pathfinding.Path.Release (System.Object o, System.Boolean silent) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/Path.cs:646)
Pathfinding.AIPath.OnPathComplete (Pathfinding.Path newPath) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AI/AIPath.cs:285)
Pathfinding.AIBase.SetPath (Pathfinding.Path path) (at Assets/AstarPathfindingProject/Core/AI/AIBase.cs:472)
TaskManager.WorkerScript.MoveTo (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] position, System.Action onArrivedAtPosition) (at Assets/Scripts/Units/Worker/WorkerScript.cs:74)
TaskManager.WorkerTaskAI.ExecuteTask_DigTile (TaskManager.TaskManager+Task+DigTile digTileTask) (at Assets/Scripts/Units/Worker/WorkerTaskAI.cs:94)
TaskManager.WorkerTaskAI.RequestNextTask () (at Assets/Scripts/Units/Worker/WorkerTaskAI.cs:74)
TaskManager.WorkerTaskAI.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Units/Worker/WorkerTaskAI.cs:44)

It is a bit random, sometimes i works multiple times, sometimes just once.