Unitys navmeshagent vs a* pathfinding project

I saw the discount on the a* pathfinding pro on the unity store and i was wondering. how much more optimised is the asset compared to unitys navmeshagent? I searched a bit on the internet but couldnt find a direct answer to the question

Hi

That depends on what you are going to use it for. There are parts where my package is faster, and parts where Unity’s package is faster. Scanning a recast graphs is faster in Unity’s package for example. However raw pathfinding is faster in this package (I think). Path following can often be faster in this package too as you can use exactly the features you need and optimize it really well for your particular game, something which isn’t really possible in Unity’s system.

Also take a look at: https://arongranberg.com/astar/freevspro

thx alot for the quick response! Il go and use the free version for a bit and compare it to the pro version. May i ask until when your asset is on sale?

Hi

Okay, sounds good. Note however that the free version does not contain for example automatically generating navmeshes in the same way as Unity’s package (it has grid graphs though, which work very well for most purposes).
It’s on sale for about another week.