Feature suggestion: line thickness

Hey, firstly thanks for making aline. Honestly, I was so frustrated with Unity’s lack of built in 2D geometry capabilities and it was a huge relief to find something so straightforward.

I’d like to suggest line thickness/stroke weight. I know I can do it by drawing several concentric circles/lines next to each other but it would be useful to have it as a built in feature. Maybe as a scope, like using(Draw.WithThickness(x)) or something?

4 Likes

Hi

I’m glad you like the package :slight_smile:
This is on my todo list. The shader already supports this (you can see how it looks by changing the aline_outline material, it has a parameter called width), but there is no way to set the width at the moment.
However in order to support this I will also need to implement line joins to make things like circles work appropriately, and this takes a bit of time.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I get that it’s a fairly new package and things take time :slight_smile:
I’m in no rush personally, I’ll just update my game when the package gets updated.

Any plans for 2D shapes with a fill too? That’d be useful for what I’m doing for sure.

1 Like

You mean corresponding to the current regular polygons and triangles? Or completely arbitrary shapes?

Late reply on same topic - looks like a good debug library but I was expecting to see more runtime drawing options in docs.

Line thickness (including fade with < 1 pixel) and joint miter options would make it a hugely more useful asset.

Fillable poly shapes, gradients… it could become a benchmark asset but that would be some work!!

1 Like

Just wanted to support the idea of line thickness would be wonderful.
ALINE is fantastic. Thanks.

2 Likes

Not sure if there is a better place to do this, but I also would like to throw my weight behind this as a requested feature! ALINE is great, I’m getting a lot of use out of its intended purpose, but I would love to make a vector-style game in the future and variable line-thickness & filled 2D shapes would make that much easier / better looking.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s not too annoying, but: strong +1 for line thickness controls.

(I use ALINE for debug drawing only, so having nice joints isn’t a big deal for my particular use case - I’d rather have line thickness and ugly joints than no line thickness!)