Agent time horizon doesn't seem to effect RVO agents with the same priorities

I’m currently on version 4.3.40 - Pro Version.

If two RVO agents have different priorities, a higher agent time horizon seems to move the agent with a lower priority move out of the way sooner. This seems to be intended and makes sense.

The problem comes in when two agents have the same priority. Although they are both moving out of the way for each other, they don’t seem to be effected by the agent time horizon. So, the result is them moving into each other, then attempting to avoid one another. This results in a very strange, almost sliding off look.

I’m looking for a slightly more realistic behavior. If two people were walking down the street and had the same “priority” of avoiding each other, they would both move slightly out of the way before colliding - not just slide across each other only when they are within inches (although this is hilarious to imagine).

I’ve noticed this in my own project, as well as the example scenes. I realize the possible difficulties / implications of this. I’m wondering: am I missing something simple, or is this just a limitation of RVO? Do you have any recommendations on how I can get the behavior that I’m looking for? I’ve searched through the forums for this question, and didn’t really seem to find anything.

Thank you for the amazing asset! I appreciate you taking the time to make a lot of people’s lives easier.

Hi

The agent time horizon do affect them, however the rvo algorithm can sometimes be a bit slow in deciding which side the agents should pass each other on. You can try to increase the symmetry breaking bias field on the rvo simulator component.