A bit surprised at update cost

As stated here: https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/208468576-How-do-I-create-upgrades-for-my-assets-
Major upgrades are explicitly supported by the Asset Store. Though we do seem to have a disagreement about the details. Either way the Unity Asset Store staff approved the update.

There is no such thing happening.

Also. I previously also wrote a blog post about the changes which covers it a bit better than the changelog: https://arongranberg.com/2017/04/a-pathfinding-project-4-0-update/

I understand. Just send me your invoice number and I will arrange a refund for you.

I would like to comment if I couldā€¦ a bout the whole update., I for one only used this tool a hand full of times, as I own Apex and a few others, I didnā€™t like some of this tool. But I did pay for it about 2 years back I believeā€¦It is NOT the devs fault we did not use itā€¦I see comments like thisā€¦ People are blaming the developer for YOU NOT using it?? Give me a breakā€¦I been a professional developer myself and I hate being chargedā€¦Your lucky SUBSTANCE tools do this every year ā€¦75 bucksā€¦ each toolā€¦Maya does all the damn time thousandsā€¦Yet people are complaining?? Now Iā€™m I happy ?? No, but this is part of developmentā€¦He had this for 7 yearsā€¦How they heck can he stay up and make a living on old techā€¦All of you people MAKE games, your NOT going to tell me, you arenā€™t going to charge for a DLC???You WILL.,.

You people make games, so you should be more understanding, But Aaron should think about the cost as its a bit much more than I seen for any upgrade in the asset store., I could see it worth it, IF I seen a ton of upgrades , new featuresā€¦I do see some, but not a tonā€¦ So in my opinion you may want to rethink the cost of it to people who did support you.

So I will defend the upgradeā€¦Will I buy it, I dunno yet. Do I think the price is fair, no I will agree with people that I feel that 50 bucks is NOT worth what I seenā€¦ If the upgrade was 10-25 US dollars, I would of had no issues paying no matter if I used or notā€¦But since I rarely used the first one, 50 bucks is NOT worth the chance of me NOT using that much again.

ā€¦ TC2 was a ton of workā€¦ They charge I believe 10-15 bucks. I think this should be no more than that. Just saying. So I can see why people are upset about the price. But as far as charging you should of charged us so I donā€™t feel the developer is being greedy at allā€¦Remember this when YOU make games and release themā€¦

Anyways this is my opinion.

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve been in the Sierras fishing since last post and had hoped that a granberg would come to his senses and understand why I and others are reticent about paying more for the new version than new customers while gone but sadly apparently not the case.I will PM you my receipt number shortly and will send UT a SS and link to this conversation to help them with processing the refund,

I am disappointed by most of the devs in this thread.

Granberg wrote a useful asset and sold it at a fair price. Rather than just let it languish, or only fix minor bugs, heā€™s working to build new and improved functionality. Asking for compensation for his time working on these new features or improvements is fair and completely justified.

If you are so worried about a small $55 cost, then you can either continue using the original asset or you can code the improvements yourself.

Iā€™ll admit there are some details here and there that make this issue a bit more complicated, but reading this thread is super frustrating. If you value your own time as a dev, value the time of other devs who make useful assets like this one.

Well if youā€™re happy ultimately paying $50 more than the next guy for the same product that youā€™ve had for years and he just purchased then Iā€™m happy for youā€¦meā€¦I thankfully received my refund and suggest anyone else who is unhappy about it do the sameā€¦then if you wanted you could wait until the new version goes on sale and actually save yourself some moneyā€¦or even if you just HAVE to use this asset today repurchase the updated version with the refund money ultimately saving you $50ā€¦there are alternates as well that seem to have comparable featuresā€¦with lifetime update guarantees:grinning:ā€¦and cheaperā€¦:wink:
farewell

I also feel some of the 4.0 notes read more like an update than a new version. But iā€™m not here to complain, the new features may very well be worth it, just to say i hope that maybe some of the performance improvements can get backported, that would be nice.

50% off at mo for full priceā€¦ how bout 50% off the upgrade price ie $25?

@mgmhunt
I donā€™t think it is 50% off at the moment. It is 40% off for unity pro license holders though.
However the principle that the upgrade price should also be 50% off I definitely agree with you on, and it would have been that way if it were up to me. I think it makes more sense. Unfortunately this is something I have no control over, it is entirely up to the Asset Store Staff.

I got this on my Asset Store windowā€¦ but yea outta controlā€¦ hmmmā€¦ not in a panic to buy but wouldā€™ve snapped up the upgrade at that discount :slight_smile:

Hmmā€¦ I think that just indicates that you can upgrade for $50. The Asset Store treats upgrades as different packages. Though I have to say it is presented in a very confusing way. I will have to suggest to the Asset Store devs that they rework that presentation.

Ah yes had me convinced it was on sale. On the front page it has the sale border graphic too. The Asset Store devs really needs to change that to avoid confusion.

Good gosh. Pay the fee for the new version, or use the old one which still works. If Aron wanted, he could just release it under a bunch of convoluted extra modules like some of the other path projects. Then charge you 50$ for every little thing you need in a new module. Thats my 2 cents.

PS, i love opsive stuff and active over there. But having to buy a bunch of different assets (modules), gets annoying.

I think this is a pretty impressive package. You get a lot for < $100 and it includes the source code.

In other software sectors, for components we can pay a lot more for a lot less with no source code access.

Yesā€¦no doubt pretty impressive but ultimately not $150 impressive (Original cost plus $50 ā€œupgradeā€ fee) Which is why this thread was started and Iā€™ve already spent my refund on a product that the developer was willing to give me guarantee that no update fees ever, complying with above noted rule 9ā€¦which apparently some developers are unaware of,at least pleading ignorance which last time I checked didnā€™t work last time I got a speeding ticketā€¦:wink:
anywayā€¦all of you that payed $150 for this product when a new user gets it for $100 can rejoice in the fact you were instrumental in giving them that opportunity and be glad you got to pay the differenceā€¦:sunglasses:

I have actually always wondered how asset store creators could maintain their plug-ins for a single low cost for years. By only charging a single low fee for a complex project, it is inevitable that a package will be abandoned. This is the core problem with the Unity asset store, and what many developers are eventually realizing is happening (and has happened) with many asset store packages.

In my opinion, I think that plug-in developers should be requiring yearly paid updates so they can actually justify maintaining their package instead of abandoning it. It would be better for us as consumers if we can have reliable devs. Unfortunately we canā€™t even trust Unity themselves for that amount of reliability, so we need to support asset store package devs like this.

Micro$oft would love to send a bill out with every update to their WIP OSā€¦as most of these script based assets areā€¦WIPā€¦ If thatā€™s what you want please send a check to Micro$oft for the last 10 updatesā€¦ :wink:

Every version of Office does have a upgrade price, or you can pay for a year subscription now. Same with abobe.

Why are you still trolling this forum. You got a refund right?

Sorryā€¦I use Office open Source which serves me well enough and have never paid any feesā€¦and answering people in my thread is trolling??..lolā€¦
Adobeā€¦shmadobeā€¦againā€¦too many open source apps to let someone regularly hold a gun to my head and demand upgrade/subscription fees ā€œor elseā€ā€¦Cloud appsā€¦WTH???:confounded: ā€¦Embrace the new futureā€¦Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be glad to pay upgrade fees on every piece of WIP software you ownā€¦like a status thingā€¦maybe buy an overpriced shnApple product while youā€™re at it ā€¦lolā€¦;)ā€¦
Peace Out

1. OpenOffice is NOT free to develop. They actually run off of donations, from people like me (and apparently not you), that understand they need to be able to justify their time on the project, and thatā€™s usually done gauging whether it allows them to eat. If it doesnā€™t, then it becomes a side project thatā€™s lucky to get a couple hours a week.
  2. You will NOT receive reliable support from open source software developers, and in fact will be lucky to get any reply at all. Whereas Aron here is quite phenomenal with the amount of support heā€™s providing.
  3. Microsoft DOES charge for upgrades for all of their software including the operating system, many of these upgrades barely have any changes most would find useful or ever even know about.
  4. I donā€™t think any software Microsoft creates has ever had a free update with substantial features at a whim after itā€™s been initially released.

The true future is legitimate customers like us having to pay extra to make up for people like you that expect everyone else to support you for free. And Iā€™ll do it, because I have enough business sense to understand the importance of stable and reliable software development from happy developers.

Wowā€¦lots of wordsā€¦just read the Unity Vendors contract ,which I did before my very first purchaseā€¦guaranteeing free updates except in certain specific cases,which IMHO this case did not meet and was insulted by the fact that existing users now had to pay $50 more than a new user would ā€¦Certainly no one is happy about that part ?? ā€¦my last word on the subject since apparently my point has been missed and refuse to argue with fanboys when clearly a contract was broken and they canā€™t see it:eyeglasses: ? :flashlight:? ā€¦ have a wonderful lifeā€¦:sake: