Performance on IOS

Does anyone have any experience with the performance of A* pathfinding on IOS devices (iPhone 4, iPad 2 onwards). Similarly, for the local avoidance RVO system? I’ve been considering ideas for a game which may require 50-100 units in a scene, which may all need to move together to a location, and avoid each other at the same time. Is this a bit optimistic?

Cheers

Tom

Hi

The local avoidance system is very fast. I do not think you will have much problem with 50-100 units in the scene. More likely to be a problem is the cost of rendering that.
How do you mean “which may all need to move together to a location”. Is there a single target point for all units, like in some tower defence games? If that is true, then you are lucky, because you could use a special path type which enables extremely fast path calculations from all points on the map to a specific point, only a large initial cost and then fast path requests.

Hi Aron,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. What i meant by ‘all move together to a location’ is similar to an RTS game where you would select a group of units and select where they need to move to, so it probably wouldn’t work with the path type you are referring to? Also, i saw your post regarding an update on the horizon - would purchasing a pro version now give a free update when the time comes?

Cheers

Tom

Hi

No the path type I mentioned wouldn’t work. However there is another similar type called MultiTargetPath, which finds paths from multiple points to a single target (or vice versa).
It might speed path calculation up a bit.

Yes, you will get free updates.