Voronoi Diagram

Hi
I think it would be great to make a Voronoi Diagram when the scan is made by using the obstacles and the walkable nodes. You could have a list of the zones and the nodes each zone has. I know this is not related to pathfinding but would be a great feature that could help to make AIs go to the best tactical points.

What do you think?

Regards

I am not sure how this would be useful, could you elaborate?

Would be useful for AI:

As far as I have seen, the AI script that comes with the pathfinding goes to a point or follows another gameobject.

Once the scan is made up, since we have the obstacles and the walkable nodes, that information can be used to make a Voronoi Diagram. The Voronoid Diagram would help to make AIs that go to zones instead of players.

Imagine that you have more units than the AI. The AI could use the Diagram to see the best “zone” to fight while being outnumbered, that would be one of the smallest zones (fewest walkable nodes) since that would help to prevent the melee units to be in a close range combat position, or the zone most surrounded by unwalkable nodes.

Or to make an AI that moves to a zone that has a lot of space to move freely and dodge missiles.

At least that would be the use I would give it. There must be other uses, but that’s the only one that comes to my mind.

Interesting, I will think about it.

PS: Sorry for the late answer, I have been away for a while