Using Texture as GraphRule - Need to generate Reference after every update?

Hi, I use Pathfinding Beta with a Texture Rule to make my Terrain-Mountains unwalkable. This works pretty good, but everytime I update and save my Rule Texture, I need to “Generate Reference”, otherwise “Scan” won’t respect any changes. Is this really necessary?

Hmm, that shouldn’t be necessary. Generate reference doesn’t do anything other than to save a new reference image. It shouldn’t affect the generated graph…

A quick loom of the behaviour Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Additional Infos:

• Using Beta
  • My Texture and Grid are both 100x100
  • I always get “Couldn’t create reference image since width*depth != nodes.Length” after clicking “Generate Reference”

Hi

Thanks!

The code did indeed not check if the contents of the image had changed. I’ll fix this in the next beta update.

I always get “Couldn’t create reference image since width*depth != nodes.Length” after clicking “Generate Reference”

Thanks! I’ll fix this error as well in the next update. Now it will use the first layer for layered grid graphs instead of complaining.

1 Like

Ah, great. No hurry, it works.

3 suggestions

• More/better documentation for “Generate Reference”. For me, it is not clear why I could need it.
  • Rename the texture rule to something like “Texture Mask”
  • Maybe add a simple b/w Mode for walkable to the rule. I just need it for that and I am not sure if my current setup is correct (as seen in the loom) with RGBA
1 Like

Thank you for the feedback!

Your setup should work for that. Black => red channel is 0 => unwalkable node. White => red channel is not 0 => walkable.