Unity 4.2 and windows 8, windows phone 8

So yeah, this is why you don’t invest into Asset Store plugins for real development. Not having a Windows Store/Phone build for this project is just so unprofessional it’s sad.

But what do you expect from Asset Store plugins. Now I know better. You should too. You are far better off implementing an A* algo from scratch or based off the one in the Unity Wiki, and not have to deal with this 3rd party dependency mess.

Months of wait for a 100$ plugin that can’t be updated for new Unity platforms in a timely manner? No thanks.

Edit: Not going to remove my original post, but I was wrong to be so hard on Aron. Sorry man keep up the good work!

To be fair Heineken1812. This app has been around for free since before Unity 3.5, which existed way before Win8 was even a thing. It’s served me incredibly well, but what I’m really worried about is that Aron has disappeared from the forum. I know he’s posted on the Unity forums as recently as two weeks ago, but that’s it.

Hi

Sorry for the late answer, I have been away for a while and haven’t been able to answer many forum posts.

I have been working on this, however there are some complications with dll files and stuff. The largest problem is that I don’t have Windows 8 or Windows Phone myself to test it on.

I have gotten version 3.4.0 to work. This is not the latest version, but I guess it is good enough for most purposes.
Here is a link to a project which works on WP8: http://arongranberg.com/wp-content/uploads/secretstuffdonttellanyone/AStarWin8WP8.zip

You need to open it up and export the AstarPathfindingProject folder as a UnityPackage and then import that into your own projects, and you also need to manually copy the Assets/Plugins folder to your own project. UnityPackages only support a single folder, so I have to supply it like this for the time being, I will try to write a setup script for easier configuration later.

PS: Is there anyone here who would be willing to be a tester of a windows 8 compatible version? I am working on getting the latest version to work, but since I don’t have Windows 8 myself, I cannot be entirely sure that it works.

Hi Aron, thanks for the update.

I do have a Windows 8 computer and a WP8 device, I’ll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the effort I know is not easy!

Sorry for my crappy post up there, it was a rough night for me. I’ll also give your new Win8 build a run and report back.

See this thread for follow ups: http://arongranberg.com/vanillaforums/discussion/1424/a-on-wp8-and-w8#latest

Hi

I would just like to ask.
Did anyone try out the previous win8 beta or the new 3.5.9 beta with window8 instructions? (http://arongranberg.com/astar/docs_dev/iphone.php#wp8)

I did a quick check and it seems to work. However there is one typo in the GridGenerator.cs

isometricAngle = cts.reader.ReadSingle();
should be
isometricAngle = ctx.reader.ReadSingle();

Thanks @MariuszP fixed in my dev version.

I’m trying this out with your free version 3.5.9 right now. Once I hunted down all the ASTAR_NO_JSON and ASTAR_NO_ZIP defines, I ran into a couple errors. I think you’ve changed the NavGraph API a bit maybe?

At line 364 in JsonSerializer I had to change
graph.SerializeSettings (ctx); to graph.SerializeExtraInfo(ctx);
And further down at line 684 I had to change
tmp.DeserializeSettings (ctx); to tmp.DeserializeExtraInfo(ctx);

Just to get it to compile. But this results in guid mismatches and a loss of my grid graph at run time.

On the plus side, it does build and successfully publish to my WP8 test device :slight_smile:
I don’t know about wack yet.

Also @Aron, I tried the 3.4 based AStarWin8WP8.zip project you uploaded earlier. I had to retarget the project to a standalone, then back to WP8 to get it to actually build for some reason, and after that it published to my device. Unfortunately it popped a run time error on the device (see the image) with a similar error message to the original wp8 System.type error messages.

Hi

Try the latest beta instead. That should have all the fixes plus possibly a few more.

I apparently missed a couple of ASTAR_NO_JSON defines when I was clearing their comments. Now it deploys fine, but my grid graph totally disappears. I’m going to try creating it in my start method.

Nevermind. The GridGraph was deleted during all the mods I was making to the scripts.
Works a treat. Thanks for the efforts.

@Aron keith here from Marker Metro, i believe you worked with Greg Quinn a while back and we ported A * Pathfinding then to Windows Phone and Window Store. Could you get in touch with me via http://www.markermetro.com/contact or @kpatton on twitter as i’d like to discuss something with you about the A* Pathfinding code and related dependencies. I’d like to see if you need to integrate the plugins we developed (e.g. WinLegacy) more deeply as we are going to be open sourcing it soon.

@kpatton2 Sent.

So… What is the situation right now?

I’m at the point, where I should test my game with WP8. Unfortunatelly PRO version doesn’t work with WP8.

I did try remove those DLL files and defines to them, but then I got other errors.

I have to say, that I’m forced to find an alternative path finder, if this road is it’s end.

Glad, that I payed about this PRO version only 35$, but still, it is a lott of money at this point for me.

@JOKaija

The latest version should work on WP8 if all instructions are followed.
Make sure you have read http://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/iphone.php

Doesn’t work with those instructions. Not WP8 version, not PRO… Full of missing references.

Have to say, since your www pages advertises WP8 compatibility: My PayPal account is jari.kaija@gmail.com for refund.

Hi

What errors are you getting?
Several users have it running on WP8, so it definitely works. It is possible that the latest (3.6) update has broken something, but I don’t think so.
If it really does not work you can of course get a refund, but I would really like to help you with those errors before that.

Best regards,
Aron