Scanning in Editor Mode

I made an AI that uses checkpoints to move, they use the GetNearest function to calculate paths while in Editor Mode. I use a ‘‘try, catch’’ function that triggers a scan when it doesn’t detect an active graph.

I was wondering how to do this, because the “AstarPath.active.Scan();” doesn’t seem to work, and I also tried using a method of creating a graph from scratch (which was on the forum), but this also doesn’t seem to work.

I have also tried “AstarPath.active.graphs.Length”, which does return a graph. But I am not able to scan it with code during Editor Mode and get the same result I get when I press the “Scan” button in the Inspector.

if (_cachedCheckpointList.Count > 0)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < _cachedCheckpointList.Count; i++)
        {
            try
            {
                if (AstarPath.active.GetNearest(_cachedCheckpointList[i]).node.Walkable)
                {
                    Gizmos.color = Color.green;
                    Gizmos.DrawSphere(_cachedCheckpointList[i], 0.25f);

if (i != _cachedCheckpointList.Count - 1)
                    {
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[i + 1], Color.green);
                    }

else
                    {
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[0], Color.green);
                    }
                }

else
                {
                    Vector2 nearestWalkablePosition = AstarPath.active.GetNearest(_cachedCheckpointList[i], NNConstraint.Default).position;

Gizmos.DrawSphere(nearestWalkablePosition, 0.25f);

if (i != _cachedCheckpointList.Count - 1)
                    {
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[i - 1], Color.red);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[i + 1], Color.red);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i - 1], nearestWalkablePosition, Color.green);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i + 1], nearestWalkablePosition, Color.green);
                    }

else
                    {
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[i - 1], Color.red);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i], _cachedCheckpointList[0], Color.red);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[i - 1], nearestWalkablePosition, Color.green);
                        Debug.DrawLine(_cachedCheckpointList[0], nearestWalkablePosition, Color.green);

Gizmos.color = Color.red;
                        Gizmos.DrawSphere(_cachedCheckpointList[i], 0.25f);
                    }

_hasBeenScanned = false;
                }
            }

catch
            {
                if (!_hasBeenScanned)
                {
                    // This holds all graph data
                    AstarData data = AstarPath.active.data;

// This creates a Grid Graph
                    GridGraph gg = data.AddGraph(typeof(GridGraph)) as GridGraph;

// Setup a grid graph with some values
                    int width = 150;
                    int depth = 150;
                    float nodeSize = 1;

// For making it a grid graph
                    gg.neighbours = NumNeighbours.Six;
                    gg.uniformEdgeCosts = true;
                    // This illustrates why it's usually easier to configure the settings in the unity inspector and then create the nodes from script
                    gg.isometricAngle = 90 - Mathf.Atan(1 / Mathf.Sqrt(2)) * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
                    gg.inspectorGridMode = InspectorGridMode.Hexagonal;

gg.center = new Vector3(10, 0, 0);

// Updates internal size from the above values
                    gg.SetDimensions(width, depth, nodeSize);

// Scans all graphs
                    AstarPath.active.Scan();

_hasBeenScanned = true;
                }
            }
        }
    }

Hi

Have you read this tutorial? https://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/editormode.html

I hadn’t yet, thanks for pointing that out. It’s working now, I also added AstarPath.active != null in addition to the provided code.

1 Like