Saving custom data into PointNodes

Hey there,

I use data coming from external sources (real map data from Open Street Map), thus I have a custom made graph based on that. Every Node as a position but also some useful information for my game:

[Serializable]
public class Node
{
    [SerializeField]
    protected bool _intersect;
    [SerializeField]
    protected Vector2 _position;
    [SerializeField]
    protected List<int> _connected_node_ids;
    [SerializeField]
    protected List<int> _connected_road_ids;

public Vector2 position { get { return _position; } }
}

My question is, would it be possible to inject, in a way, my custom nodes with all their useful content, into a PointGraph? Then I could easily retrieve informations when I request for a path.
Thanks.

Hi

Yes this is possible. You could for example create a new subclass of the PointGraph like this:

In MyPointGraph.cs:

using UnityEditor;
using Pathfinding;

public class MyPointNode : PointNode {
	// additional data here
}

public class MyPointGraph : PointGraph {
	protected override PointNode[] CreateNodes (int count) {
		var nodes = new PointNode[count];

for (int i = 0; i < nodeCount; i++) nodes[i] = new MyPointNode(active);
		return nodes;
	}
}

In MyPointGraphEditor.cs (in an Editor folder):

using UnityEditor;
using Pathfinding;
[CustomGraphEditor(typeof(MyPointGraph), "My Point Graph")]
public class MyPointGraphEditor : PointGraphEditor {
}

The other option is to simply keep a

Dictionary<GraphNode, AdditionalNodeInfo> extraNodeInfo;

dictionary somewhere which you can use to look up the extra data.

1 Like

Hey Aron,
Thanks for your reply.

Just FYI, there is no method CreateNode to override PointGraph :S What do I need to use here?

Another question, what about saving this graph? Would my custom information saved with it or do I need to write my own saving system?

Thanks.

Hi

It might be that the CreateNodes method only exists in the beta version, Iā€™m not quite sure.

If you want to serialize the data you can override the GraphNode.SerializeNode and DeserializeNode methods in your node class. Node data is serialized in a binary format. You can check out how the other node types implement those methods for example usage.

Hey @aron_granberg, just to know, can you share with us when the CreateNodes method will be out of beta version and hit release version? I could use that :slight_smile:

Hi

That is unknown at this time. However you can already download the beta here: https://www.arongranberg.com/astar/download.

1 Like