RTS Melee/Ranged movement

Hello,

I have been looking at the latest beta and how your ranged units move and position themselves and I wanted to create a separate thread for this.

Is it possible to get more details on how one can achieve the “firing quad” formation when targeting enemies?

Also, any tips or suggestions on how to handle melee movement to enemy targets? Especially when it is Group vs Group

Thank you

Hi

What I do is simply: “if the unit can fire on an enemy then set rvoController.locked = true”

I see, I did go through your code and saw that. Was wondering if there were any other necessary configurations for units.

Any tips on melee? In your RTS demo for example, I would love to see how you would achieve group melee combat.

Thanks

I cannot remember any other things I had to do to make that work, but it was some time since I wrote the scripts.

I haven’t tried melee yet, so right now I have no idea :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe it works to just reduce the ranged units’ range?

I will try and experiment. Just a note, is Grid graph the best for 2D do you think? or is it possible to use something else which would yield better pathing for an RTS style?

Grid graph is probably the best if your game’s maps are not too large.