Not compatible with macOS/URP?

ALINE doesn’t seem to render anything on macOS/URP, Unity 2019.4.11f. Is it not compatible with macOS? Or URP? Or both?

There’s no errors in the console or any other indication of a problem in any of the supplied examples… ALINE simply doesn’t render anything.

I just noticed that if I search for a GameObject through the scene hierachy (using the searchbox), causing all unselected objects to be given that white hidden / unselectable tint, ALINE gizmos are suddenly visible in the scene view.

I hope that helps debug the issue.

I tracked the problem down to this code in DrawingManager:

var cam = cameras[i];
					if (cam.TryGetComponent<UniversalAdditionalCameraData>(out UniversalAdditionalCameraData data)) {

The cameras that get passed through here (“Scene Camera” and “Preview Camera”) don’t have a UniversalAdditionalCameraData component. These appear to be internal cameras, specific to Unity in editor mode, as my regular game cameras have these components.

But, thanks to this code block I was able to figure out how to enable URP support manually: open your ForwardRenderer asset, click “Add Render Feature” and then select ALINE URP Render Pass.

Everything works now.

As an aside, the current solution of trying to add the ALINE render feature every frame looks like a bit of a hack, and was the source of this problem in the first place. Maybe a better solution is to enable HDRP/URP support explicitly by adding a context menu for ForwardRenderer assets that add the ALINE render feature with a single click? It’s an additional step, but one that eliminates a potential source of errors/confusion.

That’s odd. It has been compatible with URP in my tests. I wonder if they have changed something in a recent update. I’ll investigate. What version of URP are you using? Also, which version of ALINE are you using?

I want it to be zero-configuration for the user. Having to set that up manually is annoying.

ALINE: 1.3
URP: 7.3.1

Perhaps this is a mac-specific issue?

Possibly. I will investigate.
In the meantime you can try to upgrade to ALINE 1.3.1.