Navmesh vs A* Pathfinding

Hi, I’m using your A* pathfinding Free for some testing Purpose. It works fine and now I want to buy your pro project. Before that, I want to know about the difference between navmesh unity and your pro version. And I worked on these two but the fps count in navmesh is lesser than the A* pathfinding free. And now the navmesh in unity is updated too. I need to know why I have to buy your A* pro over unity navmesh.

Hi

There is a page showing many differences here: https://arongranberg.com/astar/freevspro
It is slightly old now and there are many features of this package that haven’t been added to it, but it should show you an overview at least (I really should take some time to update that page).

Yeah, I saw it. But I want to know the difference between A* Pro and unity’s default navmesh.
And the navmesh in unity is updated too. So is there any benefits using A* pro over Unity’s navmesh, and I want to know which is good in performance. Then i want to know which gives less fps count too.

Hi

There are many differences. This package supports other kinds of graphs (e.g grid graphs, point graphs, etc.) and many more options for customizing the generated navmesh. There are so many features and differences, so it’s hard to list them here. In terms of performance, this can also vary widely. There are many users who say that they get a lot better performance using this package, but I also know there are some cases in which this package is slower (generating navmeshes using recast graphs is slower in this package for example, it’s really hard to compete with Unity’s c++ implementation here). Unity’s solution also has better support for off mesh links at the moment. There are however some pathfinding optimization techniques that are simply not possible in Unity’s version, which can improve pathfinding performance significantly (see for example this page). In general it is very hard to say if the performance is better or worse, because it is really depends on what you are going to use it for and how you are going to use it.

Necro-ing this thread to both applaud the A* Pathfinding Project and to learn more.

I’ve only used A* Pathfinding Project, but not Unity’s Navmesh system. I’ve had great success with it – among the assets I use, A* has been easily the most reliable.

However, for anyone who has tried both, which ones are better suited for which use cases?

1 Like