Layers for Node Links?

Hi there! I’m pretty new to this asset, but I’ve really been enjoying it so far.

The game that I’m working on is a platformer, and as a result, I need my NPC and enemy characters to be able to jump from platform to platform. I’ve done some thinking, and it seems like my best bet is to generate Node Links using this script then add some override behavior that replaces the default traversal with a jump. (It would be nice if there was an “official way” to generate Node Links :wink: )

However, a problem arises. Different characters will be able to jump different lengths, and some won’t be able to jump at all. So with that being said, I need someway to create different “layers” of Node Links. Then I should be able to prebake all the possible jumps for all the different character types.

Does such a feature exist? And furthermore, if you have critiques on my current philosophy, I’m all ears for a better solution!

@aron_granberg Hi! Are you able to help me with my question? ^ Sorry for the ping, I’m just a bit directionless at the moment :sweat_smile:

You can use tags for this. Seekers can define which tags are traversable for them.

When you are creating links you can also set tags for it (I mean for the nodes, as creating a link does create extra nodes for those). But still - you’ll have to prepare those links beforehand.

1 Like

Thanks for your response! I’m currently using NodeLink2, and I don’t see any options on any of the three NodeLinks to set a tag. I was able to set up my Seeker to my liking.

There is no such option built on in NodeLink2 but you can extend it and add it by yourself. I’ve done it exactly that way and it does the trick pretty well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha! That’s what I was guessing I was going to have to do. I just wanted to double check everywhere that I wasn’t missing an existing feature :slight_smile:

How did you go about adding tags to them?

Also got my own implementation called PathLink based on NodeLink2. Simply put I want some unit not using NodeLinks at all :slight_smile:

Nevermind

Found the this solution! :slight_smile:

2 Likes