Dynamic Obstacle Avoidance comparison

Continuing the discussion from Local Avoidance not working:

The local avoidance in this package works well for larger crowds, however the main limitation I suppose is that it is not as good when it comes to just a small number of agents, in particular when some of them are prevented from moving. It can often get stuck in a local minima or move very slowly around another agent in those cases. I am however working on an alternative algorithm that should handle those cases better (inspired by what the starcraft 2 engine uses).

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply.
I want to create small groups (5-10) of NPCs (5-20 in each group) they have different targets at intervals of seconds to go. But they have to avoid each other. You can imagine a city, buildings, skyscrapers and people go to work in the morning etc. Local avoidance in your asset seemed to be good solution.

Hi

That seems like it could work reasonably well, yes.
One potential issue might be choke-points where multiple agents try to say pass a door opening, while another ground of agent tries to pass it from the other side at the same time. This could potentially lead to a deadlock (however usually those situations are resolved).