Discord Server for questions?

Is there any discord server for people using this asset?

Since I feel generally discord is way more useful than forums for asking questions and getting answers, since you can have an actual conversation, instead of other random suggestions and the replies between both sides taking many minutes/hours.

Also in-case anyone can direct me in the right location, I just need to know if there’s an easy way to implement flying VS non-flying pathfinding for a 2d platformer(side view)(basically the non flying shouldn’t be able to go anywhere without colliders to stand on).

I can obviously implement a custom one myself after a few days of learning the asset’s code, but want to know if there’s an easy option first.

Thanks

There is not. While discord servers are better for asking and responding quickly, information tends to get buried veery quickly and it’s hard to search for answers and link to them from elsewhere.
Furthermore I live in Sweden which is one of the worst timezones for communicating with people from the US (where a pretty substantial fraction of users come from) during work hours. This is why I have preferred a forum up to this point.

This package doesn’t really support platformer type pathfinding I’m afraid.
You can do some stuff with point graphs, and I guess there’s also https://arongranberg.com/astar/docs/writinggraphgenerators.html… but there’s nothing out of the box for platformer pathfinding.

I think it would actually make a lot of sense to have an official discord server.

3 Likes

Hi Aron, Just would like to point out that a discord community can support itself (in fact, it’s the whole point). Done right (meaning if you choose moderators you can trust) this will actually alleviate your support load and offer your customers a level of support with turnaround time a guy alone can’t offer.

Those communities helped me more than I’d care to admit these past years, and in most case I got help almost instantly.

A public (free) discord community would be more than enough to allow us to help each other. Or maybe one of the many unity communities could host a channel for you? It just needs to be official, so we can all meet at the same place.

4 Likes

Hi Aron,

I think a discord would be a fine idea since:

A. it would reduce the strain on you for answering every single question
B. it would get people quicker help which would improve productivity
C. it would allow for people to ask quicker questions (eg a quick question on a method)

I think a public discord would be best since that way you could get the most people on it who know the tool

I hope you consider it

2 Likes

I agree, it’s true that questions get lost in Discord, but it’s a great place to work together and problem solve rather than hoping someone opens up your post and knows the answer to your question.

1 Like

Questions get lost here too, I asked a question a few days ago and it got skipped :confused:

Alright. I’ll give it a try. Here’s a new discord server: A* Pathfinding Project :slight_smile:
Note that I will not be giving any official support on this server, though.

2 Likes