Check movement if pushed aside

Hello everyone,

I want to play a walk animation if a unit is pushed aside by local avoidance. Unfortunately I am uncertain on how to check the movement and the direction. The behavior which I desire is something like the unit which is pushed aside turns into the direction of movement and plays it’s walk animation. Currently the unit just slides to the new position.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-20 um 19.49.40
The priority will be changed through a script. When a destination is set the priority will be set to 0.7 and if the destination is reached ist will be reset to 0.1 .

Thank you in Advance.

Hi

How are you currently getting the velocity for the animation? Driving it using ai.velocity should work I think.

Hi,

currently I am using a bool which is set to true(transition to Walk) the moment a direction is set and reset to false (transition to Idle) when ai.reachedDestination is true.

You are right I totaly forgot that I can check if the ai has any velocity.

I am still new to game development and especially Programming with a focus on performance. Therefore the question rises would if it would be too costly to run the check in the Update Method and trigger the Animation? I plan for several hundred of units at a time something between 100 and 200. If all of them checking for velocity every frame I could imagine that this could hurt the performance/frame rate.

Just checking for the velocity every frame for 100 units is peanuts for a modern computer :slight_smile: Don’t worry about it. The AIPath script itself does way more than this every frame.

Okay thank you.
I just tested it and it is working perfectly.

1 Like