Beta 4.3.8. - Inconsistent RVO Behaviour Near Destinations

I am finding that in some cases, RVO appears to be off completely when agents are near a destination. I am not using the new “Stop when destination is crowded”. For now I am just trying to get behaviour the same as non beta.

My scene has several goals where the first agent there starts to type on the console. It takes around 10 seconds and normally all the other agents will run around the destination while still leaving space between each other. After that, the goal is complete and all agents go to next destination.

With the Beta, the agents cluster tightly around the destination in some cases. They all continually try to move to the destination and it seems RVO is off. I have checked at runtime and everything in RichAI and RVO Controller looks normal.

It seems random depending on where the goal is on the Navmesh. The issue is consistent in that the same goals will have the problems and the ones that are ok are always ok.

Here is some screenshots to illustrate. The first one they cluster tightly, second one is good, and third has the problem again.

Hi

The second screenshot where they are all spread out does not look like purely RVO. When using RVO and they all have the same destination they would definitely cluster much more closesly. Are you using some other script that controls what the agents do in case the console is not free?

I have the radius (RichAI) and neighbours set quite high to illustrate the issue better. If I turn this down, they do cluster tighter but still leave some space.

The state of the other agents is the same when the console is not free. So movement logic and RVO settings remain the same.

I also have some jump pads where the agents do not stop, but same problem where they cluster too tight.

If I enable the “Stop when crowded…” feature, they do stop but same problem. Sometimes they stop and leave some space, other places they stop but are tightly packed.

Once a goal is complete and the agents move away from a problem spot, RVO seems to kick back in.

The spots that are working behave like the official release and act is I expect them to.

Issues appear to be fixed in version 4.3.9. I will do a little more testing but agents behave consistently around all destinations now. Thank you.

1 Like