Best graph type for a game like Resident Evil 2 / Doom?

Hello,

I have been working with Recast graph for open world scenes in the past, but now switching to interior scenes like the police station of Resident Evil 2 and semi-open world like in Doom. I have read the docs again, but Im not sure if I should pick Navmesh or Layered Grid. I will have stairs that take you to other floors when inside the houses. Ive read that GridGraph is very costly performance wise and LayerGrid is even worse for performance, so what would you suggest?

One more thing is that I may split my scene into smaller scenes at some point using SECTR.

Also since Im starting a new project with unity 2019.4 do you recommend downloading the a* 4.3 beta? It says “This beta requires Unity 2019.3.0f3 or higher to work and 2020.1 or higher for some features.” does that mean that I need 2020.1 to run it ? And what are those features that require 2020.1?

It’s hard to say if a recast graph or a layered grid graph would work best for you.
If it’s a static scene then I’d recommend a recast graph. If you need graph updates then first try if you can do it with navmesh cutting and otherwise you probably want a grid graph.

If you need tags or penalties then use a grid graph.

You need Unity 2019.3 or higher. However there are some burst features that require Unity 2020.1. It will log a descriptive error if you try to use them in Untiy 2019.3.

Okay, I don’t need updates at runtime, just my scenes will have multiple floors and be semi open world like Doom. Will I be able to opt out from using those features that require unity 2020 and fall back to their old implementation?

The features have fallbacks, so it will work alright.
The primary thing you will be missing is that colliders are fully solid in recast graphs using Unity 2020 (i.e. no navmesh will be created inside of them). And there are some performance improvements for recast graphs in Unity 2020.

1 Like