Best approach for multilevel with flying objects

I’m trying to find the best approach to my problem and the few posts I could find here are all pretty old and incomplete (I love the “I found a solution!” but then not including it :sob:). Plus there’s just not that much “how to” documentation out there beyond a few basic examples.

My situation is that I have this scene:

It’s a two story library with an open area in the middle and some overlapping areas. The bookshelves are filled with books that can be taken off. Then when they are dropped (wherever the user might be), the books fly back to the bookshelf they belong to.

If they are dropped on a floor other than where they came from, they need to float up/down to that level rather than taking the stairs. There’s the possibility of needing to avoid passing through users in the library, but that could be skipped by just hovering higher than the people’s heads if it’s too much extra effort.

I’ve looked into layered grids, point grids (lots of points!), nav meshes, etc. and tried to figure out which AI would be the best fit with them. I’m about at my wits end right now. I have the Pro version.

If people have some specific pointers on what the best bits of A* would be for this approach, I’d be highly grateful.

I’m still hoping to get some tips on the best way to do this. But the way I wound up doing it is with two grid graphs. Then I programmatically used AddConnection to connect points vertically so the objects could move to the lower/upper grid.

Before adding the connections:

After adding the connections:

This works pretty well. I do some casting upwards to make sure I don’t connect a point that is going through the overlapped floor.

1 Like

Hi

That sounds like a good solution. I would have recommended either that or point graphs.