AgentTimeHorizon and priority

Hello again,
Let’s say we have a bunch of agents moving randomly around the same area.
Quoting the documentation:

float AgentTimeHorizon
Max number of estimated seconds to look into the future for collisions with agents.
As it turns out, this variable is also very good for controling agent avoidance priorities. Agents with lower values will avoid other agents less and thus you can make ‘high priority agents’ by giving them a lower value.

float Priority
How strongly other agents will avoid this agent.
Usually a value between 0 and 1. Agents with similar priorities will avoid each other with an equal strength. If an agent sees another agent with a higher priority than itself it will avoid that agent more strongly. In the extreme case (e.g this agent has a priority of 0 and the other agent has a priority of 1) it will treat the other agent as being a moving obstacle. Similarly if an agent sees another agent with a lower priority than itself it will avoid that agent less.

Does this mean we should set different agentTimeHorizon and priority values for different agents in order to avoid collisions easier?

Thank you!!

Hi

The documentation for AgentTimeHorizon is a bit outdated. It is still true, but that was written before the Priority field existed. So you should use the Priority field whenever you can.

Thanks.
I’m spawning the boats with different priorities and agenTimeHorizon, but they still got stuck sometimes and do sudden rotations, it would be acceptable if they would just stop but they shake fast and it’s quite ugly. Any advice for this?

Hi

That’s a known problem. The good news is that in my dev version I have implemented some rotation filtering which removes the fast rotation jitter in almost all cases. A new beta will be up in the next few days I think.

Okay, we will be waiting for your news then
Best regards,
pistoleta